Monday, March 04, 2013

Secluded Johor Bahru - Part 1


9 – 12 Dec 2012

DAY 1  - Johor Bharu, Here We Come!

I don't know about other Malaysians but when I think of Johor Bharu or JB, I think Singapore. It's like you go to JB and then quickly plan a getaway to Singapore. It doesn't help either that JB is not so popular with interesting places to see. When I did my checking with people around and googled, all I got was mosques, temples, and colonial buildings and I am talking about JB town. The usual response I got from people was, "Go to Singaporelah.". 
The view from the hotel balcony
I also think that JB is kind of secluded from other main cities. Always living in the shadows of Singapore. But I hope to see this perception change in the future.

For those who have never heard of JB, it is actually the southernmost state in Peninsular Malaysia, about 220km from Kuala Lumpur. It is the capital of the state of Johor which is the 2nd most populated state in Malaysia after Selangor. The state is big so travelling from one district to another takes long and it is also the Malay heartland.

The road to JB 

We left KL at 9.30am on a Sun morning (9 Dec). Before hitting the highway, we stopped for breakfast knowing well that is is going to be a long drive. 

We entered the North-South Expressway/NSE at about 10.30am (also known as PLUS Highway) at Sg Besi Toll Plaza and exited at Kempas Toll Plaza at about 2.00pm. So in total, it took us about 4 hours. Not bad as the highway was pretty much easy flowing what with it being a Sunday and all.  The toll charge came up to RM41.30 for one way. Double it for your return journey and yes, put aside RM80+ for PLUS Highway alone. 


The restaurant at the hotel
Once we exited the highway, we headed straight to Tebrau Road which was the route to our hotel.

All photos are copyrighted. Do tell if you need to use them. I can be reached at sivakay2009@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by.

Cheers,
Sivakay